1759 underground dating guide
On December 1, 1758, the ruins of Fort Duquesne were officially renamed and from then on the Forks of the Ohio was called Pittsburgh. It shows the downtown with portions of the north (Allegheny City) and south side; insets of the neighborhoods of Lawrenceville and Manchester are along the left edge.
It contains a large number of views and illustrations including maps, especially for the early years. Two views looking south across the Mon at top, and north across the Allegheny at bottom; and taken from Picturesque America as the print above. Today parking is not all that tight downtown because it is so expensive. containing a map of the business section, a ward and district map , and a map of the interurban electric lines. Apparently, within three months, a horseman got to Philadelphia and a ship from there reached London. The map identifies several sites as given by the number key at the bottom, and is accompanied by a short article with extracts from the letters of General Forbes. The 1842 courthouse is prominent although the artist has twisted it to display the front. The name honors William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, and head of government at the time. This print is page 377 and from an unknown source, though it may come from Pictorial History of the U. Only a small section at the start of the map is shown here. 1915 PITTSBURGH, a Rand Mc Nally Vest Pocket Map showing streets, transportation lines, parks, public buildings, etc. WAGNER'S COMPLETE INDEXED MAP OF PITTSBURGH AND ADJOINING BOROS, The A. Wagner Co., Publishers, PO Box 1055 Pittsburgh, Main Plant Cincinnati. LIPPINCOTT AND NCNEIL'S MAP OF GREATER PITTSBURGH, Lippincott and Mc Neil, Engrs, 237 4th Avenue, Pittsburgh. This is a later version of a map first put out around 1912. This brochure, issued by the Chamber of Commerce, has 11 pages of text plus a 5 x 7 inch map and several photos. The date of 1926 appears in the text in reference to the Carnegie International Art Exhibit; but it may have been issued a year or two later. CRAM'S OFFICIAL INDEXED STREET MAP OF PITTSBURGH, MCKEESPORT, WILKINSBURG, AMBRIDGE, DUQUESNE AND 68 OTHER MUNICIPALITIES IN THE PITTSBURGH AREA. Besides the main map , not all of which is shown, it has this image of downtown. This selection of maps and views presents a history of the city and region from that moment to near the present; some can be seen on other pages of this website. This is Plate II from Everts' A History of Allegheny County 1876. The map itself is titled RAND MCNALLY NEW COMMERCIAL ATLAS MAP OF PITTSBURGH, and not quite all of it is shown in this view. This is an undated map but it has a Gulf ad on the back that appeared from around 1919 to 1923, so that dating is used here. Folds into a 7 x 4 inch yellow paper cover to which it is attached. Needless to say, city of power is no longer used as a catch phrase, at least in reference to industry. Although Gulf published city maps from its earliest days (see 1918 above), the other oil companies were slower to put out such maps. The small fort 3) on the map probably refers to Fort Prince George, constructed by a small force of Virginians under command of Captain William Trent in 1754, while 2) refers to the French Fort Duquesne. PLAN OF FORT PITT and parts adjacent with both rivers.
Another possibility is that the small fort is Mercer's Fort, constructed to house troops between the destruction of Fort Duquesne and the building of Fort Pitt. This is a manuscript map of the fort done by Bernard Ratzer circa 1761.
There were apparently no Indian villages right at the Forks, but several up and down the three rivers are named. It is reproduced in Hulbert(1907) with this date in four plates, all shown here, plate 2 , plate 3 , plate 4 . This plan had to be somewhat conjectural as the fort took several years to complete.
(John Rocque's Plans) Before he died in 1762 John Rocque prepared A Set of Plans and Forts in America. This work provided the plans of all the frontier forts Rocque could lay hands on.
(Pittsburgh) This 13.5 x 17 inch parchment manuscript map of downtown Pittsburgh sold at auction in 2005 for $55,000 to an apparently private owner. A virtually identical print had appeared in Day in 1843, so the same plate was used or copied. This map is the verso of page 115 from a publication by Phelps & Fanning; possibly Phelps' hundred cities and large towns of America: with railroad distances ... Illustrated with seals and thirty-one state maps in countries, and fourteen maps of cities.
In 2009 it appeared in the listings of a New York City map dealer with an asking price of $150,000. Thus, the view is actually prior to the Great Fire of 1845 which burned down many of the buildings shown.
FORT DU QUESNE, NOW PITTSBURGH, AND ITS ENVIRONS, from the January, 1759, issue of The Scots Magazine.